I'm from Mexico City and lived in the U.S. for a total of more than 24 years. Now I'm back in Mexico. I realized I was seeing my country through the eyes of a native stranger. This is an attempt to process the differences, to explain Mexico to the U.S. and the U.S. to Mexico. With digressions along the way.

viernes, diciembre 10, 2004

Life Changes / Cambios de la Vida

So, I'm in Mexico City, temporarily living with my parents after 16 years abroad. Those 16 years were spent in Los Angeles, New York City, and Durham, NC obtaining (or not obtaining, as the case may be) a variety of university degrees. Needless to say, being back here is a bit surreal. I was born in Mexico City and lived here from the ages of 9 to 18, but I've been gone a long, long time. The place has certainly changed, and so have I. My friend Oliver suggested I start a blog that would let people see the city through my eyes, the eyes of a native stranger. Along the way I'm sure to comment on completely irrelevant things, and as I'll be returning to Durham next year, I'll be playing the part of strange native soon enough. We'll see how it goes. In any case, welcome, and I hope you find something of interest here.

Pues estoy en la Ciudad de México viviendo con mis padres temporalmente después de estar fuera del país 16 años. Esos 16 años los pasé en Los Angeles, la ciudad de Nueva York, y Durham, Carolina del Norte obteniendo (o no obteniendo, dependiendo del caso) una variedad de diplomas universitarios. Seguro no necesito comentar que estar de vuelta es un poco surrealista. Nací en el D.F. y viví aquí de los 9 a los 18 años, pero he estado fuera mucho, mucho tiempo. El lugar definitivamente ha cambiado, y yo también. Mi amigo Oliver me sugirió empezar un blog para que la gente (especialmente estadounidense) viera la ciudad a través de mis ojos, los ojos de una nativa extranjera. En el camino seguro daré mis comentarios sobre temas que no tienen nada que ver con la ciudad. Y como estaré regresando a los Estados Unidos el año que entra, estaré protagonizando la parte de una extranjera nativa allá pronto. Veremos como sale la cosa. En todo caso, les doy la bienvenida y espero que encuentren algo de interés aquí.