I'm from Mexico City and lived in the U.S. for a total of more than 24 years. Now I'm back in Mexico. I realized I was seeing my country through the eyes of a native stranger. This is an attempt to process the differences, to explain Mexico to the U.S. and the U.S. to Mexico. With digressions along the way.

martes, diciembre 28, 2004

Tsunami Update

I just heard the tsunami death toll has now passed 55,000. Considering there are still many people missing, I expect the number will be considerably larger. It boggles the mind. Seeing video of the grieving survivors and boards of flyers seems like a much larger version of September 11th. Except this time the anger can't be directed at humans (of course, blame will be found anyway.) What will happen to these areas that have lost so, so many people, all in one fell swoop? I really can't fathom that kind of devastation. I heard the earthquake that set off the tidal wave was 33 times stronger than the 1985 Mexico City earthquake, which killed about 25,000. It was strong enough to shift the axis of the earth 5 centimeters, and change the speed of its rotation.