I'm from Mexico City and lived in the U.S. for a total of more than 24 years. Now I'm back in Mexico. I realized I was seeing my country through the eyes of a native stranger. This is an attempt to process the differences, to explain Mexico to the U.S. and the U.S. to Mexico. With digressions along the way.

lunes, diciembre 27, 2004

Tsunami

Once in a while something happens that makes you feel very lucky. The earthquake and resulting tsunami have left over 22,000 dead! That's even more than the civilian body count from the intervention in Iraq (http://www.iraqbodycount.net/). I read that Italy and France have sent aid...the rest of the "first world" better get on it if they haven't already! I can't wrap my mind around that many dead. On the news I saw video of a man crying and hugging a dead boy...and each person of the thousands dead is one like that boy. What an incredible amount of pain.