I'm from Mexico City and lived in the U.S. for a total of more than 24 years. Now I'm back in Mexico. I realized I was seeing my country through the eyes of a native stranger. This is an attempt to process the differences, to explain Mexico to the U.S. and the U.S. to Mexico. With digressions along the way.

martes, octubre 11, 2005

Mooncup

It was bound to happen. I accidentally destroyed by DivaCup. What's a DivaCup you ask? I'll just point you to the original post where I introduce it. How could I destroy such a sturdy, fail-proof design?

Uh...well...I put it in a pot of water to boil for five minutes for the monthly sterilization, and I went to my computer because who wants to sit there and watch something boil...and I forgot. About a half hour later I'm smelling something funny, and my poor DivaCup is scorching at the bottom of a very hot, very dry pot. I can't believe the thing didn't melt. I actually almost considered using it, but it had these little cracks in it from the heat, and they just seemed like places bacteria would love to collect.

So it went to the trash...and I went to the internet to buy another one because there is NO WAY I am going back to using tampons or sanitary napkins. This time, I decided to be adventurous and get a Mooncup! It seems almost identical, it's also made out of silicone. But it's got a better name in my opinion, though I always referred to my DivaCup as my keeper, since that's what I had first. Like a tissue is a kleenex. With that, I will have tried all three menstrual cup brands I know about. I wonder if that qualifies me for something.