I'm from Mexico City and lived in the U.S. for a total of more than 24 years. Now I'm back in Mexico. I realized I was seeing my country through the eyes of a native stranger. This is an attempt to process the differences, to explain Mexico to the U.S. and the U.S. to Mexico. With digressions along the way.

miércoles, enero 05, 2005

Only in Mexico

I'm sure this happens in other countries as well, but it's a pretty established saying, so....

1. Mexico City's program to prevent drunk driving, which started in September, was suspended Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve to give officers the chance to be with their family members.

2. Since December we have to separate our trash here in the city into organic and inorganic. When the trash truck comes by, they throw it all together. Did they just want us to start practicing?

(From what I hear, trash collectors do a little business on the side recycling cans and bottles and selling salvageable items. There's a whole mafia-type business set up around this. There must be pretty high stakes, because there have even been murders over it.)