I'm from Mexico City and lived in the U.S. for a total of more than 24 years. Now I'm back in Mexico. I realized I was seeing my country through the eyes of a native stranger. This is an attempt to process the differences, to explain Mexico to the U.S. and the U.S. to Mexico. With digressions along the way.

sábado, enero 22, 2005

Una Buena Puntada

There's a term I like a lot in Spanish that came up when I went to see Ong Bak with my friend Jason last night. Maybe someone could help me with a better English equivalent than I can muster. When a film, for example, has a joke or a comic moment that's really right on, you say it was a "buena puntada"--literally, a good stitch. In any case, Ong Bak tiene muchas buenas puntadas.

By the way, you all should check out Ruth's blog "La Tertulia" if you're interested in different Spanish terms and sayings throughout the Spanish-speaking world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

it's: punch line

5:19 p.m.

 
Blogger Nayeli said...

Punch line...hmm...well, it's not quite the same thing. It's a bit more subtle than a punch line. It doesn't have to be THE punch line. Just a good...umm...well, puntada.

11:26 p.m.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home